Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Brendan Shanahan!

On Tuesday Brendan Shanahan announced that he is officially retiring for the NHL. Brendan was not playing this season because there was not a spot for him on the New Jersey devils first three lines. He realized that it was his time to stop playing and focus on other things in life. Brendan Shananhan played 21 seasons in the NHL. This is amazing that he was able to be an amazing player that that long of time. Playing any kind of sport takes a toll on the body and he was able to compete at such a high intensity for all those years are amazing.

I remember he was one of my favorite players when I was little. I was a Detroit Red Wings fan when I was little. When he played for them he was able to win three Stanley Cups. This is remarkable because many players do not even get the chance to play in one Stanly Cup game in there lives. Many players were surprised that he retired. Valiquette did not think that Brendan was going to retire. He thought there were plenty of teams looking at him to play for them. Former Rangers coach Tom Renney said "The game is better for having had Brendan in it and will continue to [be] as long as he stays involved." A lot of people are hoping that he stays with the NHL to improve it.

During his professional career he was able to get 1,354 points. I had know clue that he had this many points. He had 2,489 penalty minutes and this was all done in the 1,524 games that he played. He was truly a great player and the amount of points he has for the number of games he has played proves it.

1 comment:

  1. Usually I show a video clip of Brendan Shanahan when we talk about the history of hockey. However, somehow we missed that class. In the video, he talks about writing a paper about the "history of hockey," when he was in grade school. It pretty much confirmed what we saw in an earlier video about Native Americans in sport.

    ReplyDelete