Friday, December 11, 2009

NASCAR and the Confederate flag

The ethical issue this week form Marlena and Oliver was whether the confederate flag should be banned form NASCAR events. This is an issue because some people think that it is racist and sexist. I agree to a certain extent that it is true. I do no think that it really means that it just represents the pastime.

The confederate flag has be at NASCAR for as long as I can remember it basically is a part of the sport. I am not saying that is a reason to keep it because things change over time due to the changing society. Just because something is legal doesn’t mean it is right.

This is an issue because NASCAR could be losing views due to all of the confederate flags flying during the races. Yes could be view as racist to some people but that is not what it stands for, Personally I don’t think that the flag should be banned from the races.

Banning the confederate flag would only lead to further restrictions in other stuff. I think it also will impact how many people attend the events. I think banning the flag would upset more people than making people happy.

Overall I don’t think NASCAR should band the flag because people have the right to freedom of speech and it has been a tradition for NASCAR so long. If they did ban the flag how much of an impact of the sport? Would more or less people go to the races? Would it lead to more things banned?

2 comments:

  1. My guess is that you probably did not proofread before you posted this blog entry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaun,

    I also did a blog about the confederate flag in Nascar. My personal belief on the issue is that I feel the confederate flag represents a part of our history that no longer exists. I feel the flag is racist and should be banned. This is the United States of America not the south. When the Civil War was over that should have been the end of the Confederate flag. The flag represents what our nation fought to overcome.

    With the other side of the argument I understand that we have freedom in this country and if we start regulating the confederate flag what comes next banning certain clothing from people?

    Brandon Hensler, a spokesman for American Civil Liberties Union's Florida chapter, said bringing a Confederate flag to the race or any public event would be protected speech

    The bottom line is people are free to express themselves in this country which is a wonderful thing when people are promoting peace and things that are going to make us a better country. However that also means people not promoting peace and harmony can also express themselves.

    ReplyDelete