Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The LeGarrette Blount Issue!

On Wednesday the ethical issue presentation was about LeGarrette Blount and how he punched a person on the opposing team in the face. He punched the other guy in the face after the game because he was saying stuff to him and hit him on the shoulder pad. LeGarrette Blount did not like this and punched him in the jaw. I think it was really wrong of him to do this. He was supposed to be suspended for the rest of the season. The coach just recently revoked his suspension. I agree that he should have been suspended but not for the whole season. Yes it was out of line what he did, but it could ruin his chances of getting drafted if he were not to play this season. I believe that he definitely has learned his lesson and not to do those kinds of things that could ruin his chances of getting drafted.

I think the other played should have been suspending for at least a game for taunting him after the game and hitting him on the shoulder pad. Doing that does not show any class at all because they had just won the game. Both teams played hard and should be good sports about it. If the roles were switched I think the outcome would have been the exact same.

Overall I think it is a good decision to have him off suspension because he is a good player and most likely has learned his lesson. Also, it will give him a chance to regain trust that he is not just another hardheaded player out there and can be mature enough to play in the NFL.

3 comments:

  1. Shaun, I definitely agree with you, but at the same time I think that Dez Bryant got the bad end of this. He was suspended for a lesser issue and remains suspended. Granted, the suspensions affect both of their draft stocks, but a punishment is a punishment. They should either keep both suspended, or revoke both suspensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feeling is that the Coach announced the suspension too soon, and probably should have discussed his options with other coaches before he did so. I have more of a problem with not conferring about his decision than with revoking the suspension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also believe Oregon coach Chip Kelly announced his decision to suspend Blount too soon. Kelly announced his decision the day after with the help of athletic director Mike Bellotti and others.

    The entire season was the appropriate length, and I have no problem with the strict conditions for reinstatement.

    My big problem is with the NCAA and how it handled the Dez Bryant situation that Max referred to. To me, the violence Blount displayed certainly outweighs any "wrongdoing" on behalf of Bryant, but unfortunately the length of the suspensions didn't reflect that. Bryant shouldn't lose his eligibility for what he did.

    ReplyDelete