Tuesday, November 17, 2009

parental violence in youth sport

On Monday Oct 16 the ethical issue presentation was about parental violence in youth sport. This was a very interesting topic because I have seen some of the video before about this. It is crazy that parents actually act like this during the children’s games. I know parents like to scream and yell during games but to actually take it to the next step is a whole different level.

I actually have had some of my teammate’s parents for hockey try to fight other parents for yelling inappropriate things to our team. Luckily there were other parents to break up the arguments before it got physical.

I think that parents have the right to yell and cheer during the games, but they have to remember that they are not the ones playing the game. If they can’t handle being grownups while watching there kids play they should not even come to the game or don’t even put their kids in sport in the first place. I always found it embarrassing to hear my mom or dad yell at parents on the other team. Parents have to remember that there our coaches and refs to take care of all the nonsense on the field, court, or ice.

Majority of the violence among parents are when the kids are really little and are just learning the game. There is no need for parents to get in a physical altercation over kids trying to have fun and learn how to play the game. Also, as the kids get older they are able to take care of there issues in the game themselves and don’t need their parents fight with a kids parents because he hit you wrong or late.

3 comments:

  1. SHAUN! I forgot that this was one of the topics we discussed in class, we have had so many great ones it is hard to keep them all straight. I am glad that you wrote about this one because it is something that is so prevalent in our society. I have had firsthand accounts of these acts of parents when I was playing and also when I was refereeing youth league soccer. It is unfortunate when parents cannot take themselves far enough out of the game to see that, especially at youth levels, it is about having fun and learning. A common theme that I have noticed as to why the parents act unruly is they are living vicariously through their kids. I believe that parents do want the best for their kids, but they need know limits. Why do you think society is so concerned with winning? Because we keep breeding our young athletes to play that way. The values they learn about the sport carry on and are eventually passed on and the cycle continues.

    It always saddened me to witness all the yelling and screaming at youth levels when I was refereeing. Either the parents didn’t know what they were yelling about or they were yelling at specific players. The worst is when it would get so bad that I would have to stop the game and verbally warn someone that they would have to leave the grounds if they didn’t behave. Hopefully, with our generation becoming much more aware of our actions and the actions of others we will break this trend and not become like our parents. We have the opportunity to make our children’s sport experiences better than we had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of the people who did the presentation on this particular topic I would have to agree with most of your points. Parents should learn to be civil when it comes to sports and their kids. I mean sure its alright to cheer on your son or daughter and maybe even yell occasionally at the referees. I do have a problem when parents start fighting over whose son is better or my son is not playing enough and he should be. I think every parent wants their kid to be a superstar athlete and the truth is, its not a common thing that happens. There are only handfuls of kids who make it past college and into the professional world of sports. Your talking about taking the best high school players in the country to compete with each other at the college level and then taking the best college athletes to compete against each other at the professional level. I think parents have a hard time of letting go their sports careers as well and they do not want their kids to make the same mistakes they may have made when they were playing. Parents then put more pressure on their kid and when something doesn't go well for their kid, they get frustrated and sometimes that frustration leads to fighting and arguing with whoever is around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that many parents need to keep it under control when attending their children’s games. After listening to the presentation on this issue and watching the video, it has come to my attention how out of control some parents can get. They need to remember that they are these children’s role models, and that is no way to act. Especially in youth games, parents really need to control the way they are acting, the point of these games are usually for fun and for the children to learn. If parents continue to act this way in front of these young children, they will not be setting such great examples for them.

    ReplyDelete