It has come down to my final blog post for sm 2210!!! It has been a great ride so far. I have learned a lot in this class about the history of sport along with current issues discussed in blogs and ethical issue presentations. This class was able to help me learn about the pastimes of sports that I did not know about.
Before this class I really didn’t know anything about the history of most sports. I am not a baseball fan so I never really cared about the history. I was able to learn who the main people were and how baseball came to how big it is today. This class has giving me more of an understanding why people love baseball so much. Learning about all the other sports such as boxing, soccer, tennis, golf, football, billiards, cricket, cock fighting ect. has really showed me how each sport became to what it is today. I was not expecting to learn about some of the sports we did.
I think the blogs helped out a lot in this class. I think the fact that we were able to do blogs instead of a final paper. It helped me keep up on current topics and the view points that others thought about them. This helped me gain a different point of view on the topic other than my own. There were topics I have never heard of before talked about such as Caster Semenya. I had no clue about her at all. The blogs were a great way to interact on each of the topics. It also was a good way to learn about my fellow classmates and there view points on topics.
The one sport I wish we learned more about is hockey. I love hockey and I was hoping there would be more covered on it. Also I wish we cover lacrosse a little more because there was only one little part on it. It seemed like there was so much more done on baseball, tennis, and football compared to other sports. I know those are the most popular sports but I thought some of the other sports should have been covered more.
I liked how there were so many video clips on the topics it helped me learn and understand the topics more. I don’t think the class would have been as effective without them. The ethical issue presentations were very interesting and got minds think about various topics. I was able to learn a lot about various sports, players and topics in doing this.
At the beginning of the class we were asked what sporting event we would attend if we had the chance to and I choose Miracle on Ice. I still would have to say that because it was such an amazing thing for the group of you guys to accomplish. I would think it would be such an incredible feeling to be at that game vs. the soviets. We were able to learn why this was so amazing during class and it only made me want to be able to go to it more.
Overall I liked this class more than I thought I would. I am happy I choose to take this class since it was an elective. I will defiantly be recommending it to others.
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I too was sorry we did not spend more time on hockey, and I will definitely plan to spend more time on it in the future. Thanks for your observations on the class and on doing the blog.
ReplyDelete