Monday, September 28, 2009

"Violence in Hockey"

Today in class Rei gave a presentation on fighting in hockey and whether the penalties should be harsher for it. Rei thinks the penalties should be more intense for fighting. I have to disagree with this because fighting is a bit part of hockey. Fighting is needed in some cases to send a message to the other team. Even though fighting seems cruel, it is needed to keep order on the ice. It helps players from taking cheap shots and liberties towards the opposing players. When players start a fight it is for a good reason such as someone on the other team took a cheap shot towards a player on the other team. The players on the teams that are usually the fighters are call the "enforcers". These enforcers also use fighting to send a message to the other team saying that they are here to play as hard as they can to win. When players fight one on one it is usually agreed on by both players. They know if they win the fight it will get there team fired up and will play harder than before. When there are bunch of people fighting it usually happens around the goal because someone probably hit there goalie wrong and have to teach then a lesson. Therefore, I think fighting in hockey is necessary and most people who play hockey will agree with it.

2 comments:

  1. I was trying to think of what the player was called who usually fights and you said it here--the enforcer. I wish you had brought this up in class because that could have gotten more discussion going. Anyway, thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shaun,

    I understand that fighting in hockey has been around for years, and I agree that with out fighting the popularity may take a hit. I know from personal experience, I wouldn't watch hockey if it weren't for the possibility of a fight. It's a low scoring sport and without the contact and fighting, would be relatively boring. But, I wonder what it will take for a rule change to take place. Im familiar with a couple of incidents that left hockey players extremely handicapped and even paralyzed, and I'm curious how you feel about that. I wouldn't want to see hockey without fighting, but I would hate to see someone's quality of life destroyed because their was a lack of rule enforcement.

    ReplyDelete