Many people disagree to when it comes to what is better skiing or snowboarding. I personally like to ski more than snowboard. I have been skiing since I was 5 in Colorado. My dad used to take us skiing out there a couple times a year so I began to get really good. I switched to snowboarding for a 2 years in 6th and 7th grade. I would go on school ski trips to Wisconsin and I would snowboard there because it was nothing compared to the Rockies.
Mountains used to be only skiing and when snowboarding came around it didn’t become that popular until recently. Many kids think snowboarding is cooler so they learn to do that instead of skiing. I personally think people should learn how to ski first and then learn to snowboard. It is fun to be able to do both and I think it is better to learn how to ski before boarding.
Most people who know how to ski and try to switch to snowboarding say it is so much harder than skiing and vice versa. Snowboarding defiantly takes a toll on the rear end of a person while learning. If a person knows how to wakeboard or skateboard they are probably be able to pick up snowboarding better than skiing. Because I was a hockey player and I rollerbladed skiing came more natural to me.
Skiing:
Skiing came first
Skiing is faster
When you ski you face straight downhill
Better on flats because you have poles to push along
Better on bumps and ice
Don’t have to undo straps on feet for chairlift
Lots to carry
Snowboarding:
Body facing the side
Started new clothing trends
Easier on the knees
Less to carry
Better in powder
Constant sitting and strapping in
Hard on wrists
More comfortable boots
Snowboarding has definitely become more popular in the past 6 years. But a lot of people are going back to skiing. Skiing has taken all of the style tips from snowboarding. Also many types of skis now are curved on both ended so they can go backwards. This has helped allow skiers to do some of the same tricks as snowboarders and has increased the presence of skiers in snowboard parks.
It is all personal opinion on which is better. Skiers say skiing is better and snowboarders say snowboarding is it is an on going battle.
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So, this is an interesting post, and perhaps we should have discussed skiing and snowboarding in class. But, was there something that we covered in class that prompted you to write this entry? I was just curious.
ReplyDelete